Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Hefeweizen from the Bottle?

I felt like a student again--backpacking through Europe on an overnight train. Friday night I hopped on a train to Augsburg, Germany to visit my good friend Philip. I was in a sleeper car for 9 hours and eventually arrived at 5:30am on Saturday. I was so tired but still very excited to be there.

Phil recently moved into a new apartment. The funniest thing is that he built his own "closet." It's actually just a shelf he built in his room, but it looks like a display at a department store. I pretended to go shopping through his clothes and tried things on.


I wish I spoke German cause Saturday night a bunch of Philip's friends came over to celebrate his birthday. Everyone spoke English but they were speaking German to each other the whole time. I wonder if it's annoying for them to have to speak English to me. They're probably like, "You're in Germany! It's your turn to speak German with an American accent!" It was still fun though since I've met most of Phil's close friends on previous visits.


That's Phil's roommate, Matthias, with a bunch of pretzels someone brought. German pretzels are sooo good. Phil also made Leberkäse, which translated means to liver cheese, but has neither liver nor cheese. It's the ham/spam looking thing on the plate in the picture above.

It was interesting, we bought a few cases of beer and I cracked one of the hefeweizens open and started drinking out of the bottle. Everyone kept on asking me, "Don't you need a glass for that?"

Me: "Nah, it's ok. I'll just drink for the bottle. Everyone else is."

German: "No, there's a special glass for the hefeweizen."

Me: "I know. It's ok though. Thanks."

After a while it became quite apparent that it was ill-advised, if not unacceptable, to drink the precious hefeweizen straight from the bottle. Moritz also showed me how to properly swivel the last few drops while pouring to get all of the yeast that settles on the bottom. The hefeweizen glasses are pretty sweet.

I woke up thirsty the next morning so I had another beer. Phil thought it was funny to drink beer for breakfast so he took a picture (you can see the Erdinger Hefe-Weizen glass).



Oh, how the Germans love their beer. Oh, how I love beer. Beer beer beer.
I hope to go to Munich in late September for Oktoberfest. Anyone care to join?

No comments: